Lienzo de Tlaxcala
“Lienzo” means “canvas” or “piece of cloth” in Spanish
The original Lienzo de Tlaxcala was a painted cotton sheet approximately 2 meters wide and 5 meters long. It was probably created around 1552. A large scene at the top depicted the political structure of the Central…Learn More >
“Codex” comes from the Latin “caudex” (“book,” “tree trunk,” “idiot”).
The Codex Nuttall is 11.22 meters in length, and is folded into 47 “pages” measuring approximately 24.3 by 18.4 cm. It was probably created around 1500. The codex is painted on both sides. These two different…Learn More >
Matrícula de Tributos
“Matrícula” means “register” or “enrollment” in Spanish.
The Matrícula de Tributos (“Register of Tribute”) consists of 16 sheets (“folios”) of paper made from the bark of the amate tree. Although some of the early folios are heavily damaged, whole sheets measure…Learn More >
The Molina Vocabulario
The Molina Vocabulario was the first dictionary printed in the Americas.
Fray Alonso de Molina’s Vocabulario en la lengua Castellana y Mexicana was published in 1555 at the Mexico City printing house of Juan Pablos. It consists of a title page (with a woodcut showing Saint Francis…Learn More >
The Codex Selden records over 500 years of Native American history.
The Codex Selden is approximately 5.5 meters in length, and is folded into twenty “pages” approximately 27.5 by 27.5 cm. It was probably created around 1560. As it is currently preserved, only one side of the codex…Learn More >
Mesolore is a bilingual resource for scholars and students of Mesoamerica.
Mesolore on Facebook
Mesoamerica in the News
- August 30, 2015 - UPI Almanac for Sunday, Aug. 30, 2015 - UPI.com
- August 30, 2015 - Sobre los 3 millones perdidos para fortalecer la lengua zapoteca - Sucedió en Oaxaca
- August 30, 2015 - Artist of the Week Margarito Mondragon shares inspirational art at fest - Las Cruces Sun-News
- August 30, 2015 - Con manchas de sangre en las manos - La Prensa Gráfica
- August 30, 2015 - Viene semana crucial para la política estatal - Criterio Hidalgo
- August 30, 2015 - Vuelve Pasatono al IAGO - Noticias Voz e Imagen de Oaxaca, Chiapas y Tuxtepec
- August 29, 2015 - Me rebelo, luego existimos - Página 12 (Registro)
- August 29, 2015 - Signs of Regression: The NDP and Palestine - Socialist Project
- August 29, 2015 - Novi HS teens' work in Nicaragua opens eyes, hearts - Hometownlife.com
- August 29, 2015 - This is Viewpoints for Sunday, August 30, 2015 - Macon Telegraph
- August 29, 2015 - Today's refugee crisis is the price for yesterday's interventions - Boston Globe
- August 29, 2015 - Downtown Tampa restaurants celebrate successful first year - TBO.com
- August 29, 2015 - Language, culture barriers slow learning for some students - Greensboro News & Record
- August 29, 2015 - At Katrina anniversary wedding: 'This will always be a happy day' - NOLA.com
- August 29, 2015 - The Archeological Damage Posed by the Nicaragua Canal Project - Havana Times