Lienzo de Tlaxcala
“Lienzo” means “canvas” or “piece of cloth” in Spanish
The original Lienzo de Tlaxcala was a painted cotton sheet approximately 2 meters wide and 5 meters long. It was probably created around 1552. A large scene at the top depicted the political structure of the Central…Learn More >
“Codex” comes from the Latin “caudex” (“book,” “tree trunk,” “idiot”).
The Codex Nuttall is 11.22 meters in length, and is folded into 47 “pages” measuring approximately 24.3 by 18.4 cm. It was probably created around 1500. The codex is painted on both sides. These two different…Learn More >
Matrícula de Tributos
“Matrícula” means “register” or “enrollment” in Spanish.
The Matrícula de Tributos (“Register of Tribute”) consists of 16 sheets (“folios”) of paper made from the bark of the amate tree. Although some of the early folios are heavily damaged, whole sheets measure…Learn More >
The Molina Vocabulario
The Molina Vocabulario was the first dictionary printed in the Americas.
Fray Alonso de Molina’s Vocabulario en la lengua Castellana y Mexicana was published in 1555 at the Mexico City printing house of Juan Pablos. It consists of a title page (with a woodcut showing Saint Francis…Learn More >
The Codex Selden records over 500 years of Native American history.
The Codex Selden is approximately 5.5 meters in length, and is folded into twenty “pages” approximately 27.5 by 27.5 cm. It was probably created around 1560. As it is currently preserved, only one side of the codex…Learn More >
Mesolore is a bilingual resource for scholars and students of Mesoamerica.
Mesolore on Facebook
Mesoamerica in the News
- August 01, 2014 - Modern dance, ancient pilgrimage and other happenings around Costa Rica - Tico Times
- August 01, 2014 - World Without End: The Global Empire of Philip II by Hugh Thomas – review - The Guardian
- August 01, 2014 - Carolyn Livengood: Online registration open for Flower Power 4 Mile Walk/Run ... - San Jose Mercury News
- August 01, 2014 - INSIGHT-For some companies, influx of migrant children into US means business - Reuters
- August 01, 2014 - Preparan celebración en Cuyotepeji - Noticias Voz e Imagen de Oaxaca, Chiapas y Tuxtepec
- August 01, 2014 - Roban a taxista; uno fue detenido - Noticias Voz e Imagen de Oaxaca, Chiapas y Tuxtepec
- August 01, 2014 - "La Guelaguetza" se presentará en la Plaza Mayor - El Sol de la Laguna - OEM
- August 01, 2014 - GAUVIN: History suggests “pros” and “cons” of open borders each half-right - Barnstable Patriot
- August 01, 2014 - Mexico's Energy Reforms: A Shaky Solution – Analysis - Eurasia Review
- August 01, 2014 - A dos semanas de la elección no tienen en el PAN quien imprima boletas - e-Tlaxcala Periódico Digital de Tlaxcala
- July 31, 2014 - Patrimonio histórico de Santiago Chazumba - e-oaxaca Periódico Digital de Oaxaca
- July 31, 2014 - Denny Grijalva Sues OWTC…Judgment Reserved! - channel5belize
- July 31, 2014 - Por qué juez de Yucatán prohibió soja transgénica de Monsanto - lagranepoca
- July 31, 2014 - Planning differently - MIT News
- July 31, 2014 - Tormenta tropical 'Iselle' se forma en el Pacífico - Informador.com.mx