Lienzo de Tlaxcala
âLienzoâ means âcanvasâ or âpiece of clothâ in Spanish
The original Lienzo de Tlaxcala was a painted cotton sheet approximately 2 meters wide and 5 meters long. It was probably created around 1552. A large scene at the top depicted the political structure of the Centralâ¦Learn More >
âCodexâ comes from the Latin âcaudexâ (âbook,â âtree trunk,â âidiotâ).
The Codex Nuttall is 11.22 meters in length, and is folded into 47 “pages” measuring approximately 24.3 by 18.4 cm. It was probably created around 1500. The codex is painted on both sides. These two differentâ¦Learn More >
Matrícula de Tributos
âMatrÃculaâ means âregisterâ or âenrollmentâ in Spanish.
The MatrÃcula de Tributos (âRegister of Tributeâ) consists of 16 sheets (âfoliosâ) of paper made from the bark of the amate tree. Although some of the early folios are heavily damaged, whole sheets measureâ¦Learn More >
The Molina Vocabulario
The Molina Vocabulario was the first dictionary printed in the Americas.
Fray Alonso de Molina’s Vocabulario en la lengua Castellana y Mexicana was published in 1555 at the Mexico City printing house of Juan Pablos. It consists of a title page (with a woodcut showing Saint Francisâ¦Learn More >
The Codex Selden records over 500 years of Native American history.
The Codex Selden is approximately 5.5 meters in length, and is folded into twenty âpagesâ approximately 27.5 by 27.5 cm. It was probably created around 1560. As it is currently preserved, only one side of the codexâ¦Learn More >
Mesolore is a bilingual resource for scholars and students of Mesoamerica.
Mesolore on Facebook
Mesoamerica in the News
- September 29, 2016 - Activists and Youth Push for Springfield to Recognize Indigenous Peoples' Day - Eugene Weekly
- September 29, 2016 - On the question of “Where are you really from?” - The Coast Halifax
- September 29, 2016 - Aprueba el INE nueva distritación para Campeche, San Luis Potosí, Sonora, Tabasco y Yucatán - El Observador Diario, El periódico digital del Noroeste
- September 29, 2016 - Illegal Mining a Golden Opportunity for Mexico Crime Groups - Insightcrime.org
- September 29, 2016 - Standing Rock Pipeline Protests Bring New Life to Old Struggles: “It's about all of us” - Austin Chronicle
- September 29, 2016 - Agroecology As A Tool For Liberation: Transforming Industrial Agribusiness In El Salvador - CounterCurrents.org
- September 28, 2016 - CSUSM holds indigenous Guelaguetza Festival - The Cougar Chronicle
- September 28, 2016 - Simón Bolívar Zoo - Costa Rica's oldest zoo - The Costa Rica Star
- September 28, 2016 - El TEPJF confirma validez de la elección de gobernador de Tlaxcala - e-Tlaxcala Periódico Digital de Tlaxcala
- September 28, 2016 - MSU bioarchaeology lab researches, uses Mayan skeletons - The State News
- September 28, 2016 - Arranca en Oaxaca el VI Encuentro Nacional De Tradición y Nuevas Rolas - RIOaxaca (Comunicado de prensa)
- September 28, 2016 - Marijuana Da Maya Mopan - Channel 7 Daily News
- September 28, 2016 - Archaeologists discover pre-Columbian tombs in Guatemala | Reuters - Reuters
- September 28, 2016 - UN human rights expert calls on US to halt construction of North Dakota oil pipeline - Mexico Star
- September 28, 2016 - Texas A&M researchers work to save global coffee crop - San Antonio Express-News (subscription)