Lienzo de Tlaxcala
“Lienzo” means “canvas” or “piece of cloth” in Spanish
The original Lienzo de Tlaxcala was a painted cotton sheet approximately 2 meters wide and 5 meters long. It was probably created around 1552. A large scene at the top depicted the political structure of the Central…Learn More >
“Codex” comes from the Latin “caudex” (“book,” “tree trunk,” “idiot”).
The Codex Nuttall is 11.22 meters in length, and is folded into 47 “pages” measuring approximately 24.3 by 18.4 cm. It was probably created around 1500. The codex is painted on both sides. These two different…Learn More >
Matrícula de Tributos
“Matrícula” means “register” or “enrollment” in Spanish.
The Matrícula de Tributos (“Register of Tribute”) consists of 16 sheets (“folios”) of paper made from the bark of the amate tree. Although some of the early folios are heavily damaged, whole sheets measure…Learn More >
The Molina Vocabulario
The Molina Vocabulario was the first dictionary printed in the Americas.
Fray Alonso de Molina’s Vocabulario en la lengua Castellana y Mexicana was published in 1555 at the Mexico City printing house of Juan Pablos. It consists of a title page (with a woodcut showing Saint Francis…Learn More >
The Codex Selden records over 500 years of Native American history.
The Codex Selden is approximately 5.5 meters in length, and is folded into twenty “pages” approximately 27.5 by 27.5 cm. It was probably created around 1560. As it is currently preserved, only one side of the codex…Learn More >
Mesolore is a bilingual resource for scholars and students of Mesoamerica.
Mesolore on Facebook
Mesoamerica in the News
- October 08, 2015 - Weekend Calendar - Arkansas Online
- October 08, 2015 - Encuentra a su madre en estado de putrefacción - El Sol de Cuautla
- October 08, 2015 - Mujeres al poder - Milenio.com
- October 08, 2015 - Militarizan a la Policía Estatal en SLP - Milenio.com
- October 08, 2015 - Promise and perils: Recognizing indigenous forest territories - Forests News, Center for International Forestry Research (blog)
- October 08, 2015 - NOLA restaurateur Seung Hong launches a culinary Rebellion - NolaVie
- October 08, 2015 - 'Apuñalan' a empresarios con compra de patrullas - Periódico AM
- October 08, 2015 - World Meeting of Families brings together over 17000 people - Catholic Herald
- October 08, 2015 - MOLINOS DE VIENTO: Imágenes - Al Momento Noticias
- October 07, 2015 - Café Colibrí, en busca de su internacionalización - El Empresario
- October 07, 2015 - Prevalecen bajas temperaturas y lluvias en el norte y centro del país - Info7
- October 07, 2015 - Film capsules - Poughkeepsie Journal
- October 07, 2015 - Storytelling fest returns to Farmington - Farmington Daily Times
- October 07, 2015 - Wildfire takes former Wood River woman's home - Alton Telegraph
- October 07, 2015 - Kettle Creek October activities - Pocono Record