Lienzo de Tlaxcala
“Lienzo” means “canvas” or “piece of cloth” in Spanish
The original Lienzo de Tlaxcala was a painted cotton sheet approximately 2 meters wide and 5 meters long. It was probably created around 1552. A large scene at the top depicted the political structure of the Central…Learn More >
“Codex” comes from the Latin “caudex” (“book,” “tree trunk,” “idiot”).
The Codex Nuttall is 11.22 meters in length, and is folded into 47 “pages” measuring approximately 24.3 by 18.4 cm. It was probably created around 1500. The codex is painted on both sides. These two different…Learn More >
Matrícula de Tributos
“Matrícula” means “register” or “enrollment” in Spanish.
The Matrícula de Tributos (“Register of Tribute”) consists of 16 sheets (“folios”) of paper made from the bark of the amate tree. Although some of the early folios are heavily damaged, whole sheets measure…Learn More >
The Molina Vocabulario
The Molina Vocabulario was the first dictionary printed in the Americas.
Fray Alonso de Molina’s Vocabulario en la lengua Castellana y Mexicana was published in 1555 at the Mexico City printing house of Juan Pablos. It consists of a title page (with a woodcut showing Saint Francis…Learn More >
The Codex Selden records over 500 years of Native American history.
The Codex Selden is approximately 5.5 meters in length, and is folded into twenty “pages” approximately 27.5 by 27.5 cm. It was probably created around 1560. As it is currently preserved, only one side of the codex…Learn More >
Mesolore is a bilingual resource for scholars and students of Mesoamerica.
Mesolore on Facebook
Mesoamerica in the News
- October 31, 2014 - New discovery could point to royal tombs at Teotihuacan - Xinhua
- October 31, 2014 - Midway Village Writes PM; Declares Support For Oil - Channel 7 Daily News
- October 31, 2014 - Lista producción de zempoalxóchitl - Ensenada.net
- October 31, 2014 - Inseguridad amenaza a reforma energética: ANIQ - El Economista
- October 31, 2014 - Reprueba el estado acuerdos con la ONU sobre la infancia - Diario Digital Juárez
- October 31, 2014 - New residents feel at home at The Braxton - The Tennessean
- October 31, 2014 - Ancient City of Teotihuacan: 50000 Relics and Artifacts Found - Island Crisis News
- October 31, 2014 - Hallan una nueva especie humana en China; llegó a convivir con neandertales - Periódico Digital
- October 30, 2014 - Halloween Creeps In Where Local Tradition Ruled the Living and Dead - New York Times
- October 30, 2014 - “Vance” ocasionará lluvias en Michoacán, Guerrero y Oaxaca - Mi Morelia.com
- October 30, 2014 - CCAH and Thunder River Theatre Company join forces for annual Dia de los ... - Glenwood Springs Post Independent
- October 30, 2014 - Bucket list: Nevada books, Nevada authors - Reno Gazette Journal
- October 30, 2014 - The Hispanic Challenge - The Weekly Standard
- October 30, 2014 - Empieza a circular video de red de corrupción de diputados - e-Tlaxcala Periódico Digital de Tlaxcala
- October 30, 2014 - Student life meets married life - Western Front