Lienzo de Tlaxcala
“Lienzo” means “canvas” or “piece of cloth” in Spanish
The original Lienzo de Tlaxcala was a painted cotton sheet approximately 2 meters wide and 5 meters long. It was probably created around 1552. A large scene at the top depicted the political structure of the Central…Learn More >
“Codex” comes from the Latin “caudex” (“book,” “tree trunk,” “idiot”).
The Codex Nuttall is 11.22 meters in length, and is folded into 47 “pages” measuring approximately 24.3 by 18.4 cm. It was probably created around 1500. The codex is painted on both sides. These two different…Learn More >
Matrícula de Tributos
“Matrícula” means “register” or “enrollment” in Spanish.
The Matrícula de Tributos (“Register of Tribute”) consists of 16 sheets (“folios”) of paper made from the bark of the amate tree. Although some of the early folios are heavily damaged, whole sheets measure…Learn More >
The Molina Vocabulario
The Molina Vocabulario was the first dictionary printed in the Americas.
Fray Alonso de Molina’s Vocabulario en la lengua Castellana y Mexicana was published in 1555 at the Mexico City printing house of Juan Pablos. It consists of a title page (with a woodcut showing Saint Francis…Learn More >
The Codex Selden records over 500 years of Native American history.
The Codex Selden is approximately 5.5 meters in length, and is folded into twenty “pages” approximately 27.5 by 27.5 cm. It was probably created around 1560. As it is currently preserved, only one side of the codex…Learn More >
Mesolore is a bilingual resource for scholars and students of Mesoamerica.
Mesolore on Facebook
Mesoamerica in the News
- September 17, 2014 - The 10 best chocolate experiences for travellers - Bendigo Advertiser
- September 17, 2014 - Museo Nacional de Antropología cumple medio siglo de vida - Noticieros Televisa
- September 17, 2014 - Conmemoran fuerzas armadas 204 Aniversario de la Independencia - El Punto Critico
- September 17, 2014 - Flash in the Pan: Calabacitas - Detroit Metro Times
- September 16, 2014 - 'Provocative' Navarrette challenges 'frank' Fox at MC - Midland Reporter-Telegram
- September 16, 2014 - Library Open Book series welcomes author Juana Bordas - La Prensa
- September 16, 2014 - Column: Teaching Spanish a must for schools - The Newark Advocate
- September 16, 2014 - Immigration Is American - Town Hall
- September 16, 2014 - El vestido de la mujer más odiada de México - La Raza
- September 16, 2014 - Deidre McCloskey on family and trans* battles to be won - Windy City Times
- September 16, 2014 - Music, books, food, mark Hispanic Heritage Month --Selected activities in ... - La Prensa
- September 16, 2014 - Norte del país continuará bajo lluvia: Conagua - El Financiero
- September 16, 2014 - What Is Climate Change? (VIDEO) - PlanetSave.com
- September 16, 2014 - Marchan normalistas en Huajuapan - www.nssoaxaca.com
- September 16, 2014 - Museo de Antropología cumple el medio siglo - El Economista